Did the Storm God of Zippalanda have a Mother or a Wife? Remarks about the Cults of Kataḫḫa and the Sun Goddess of the Earth in Zippalanda and Ankuwa
Two important female deities of the Hittite Pantheon are related to the Storm God of Zippalanda: the Sun Goddess of the Earth, surely worshipped in the same city, and the Hattian Kataḫḫa “The Queen”, whose cult flourished in the nearby town Ankuwa. Beyond that, in the Late Hittite period all the local Storm Gods were openly adopted by the main couple of the pantheon, the Sun Goddess of Arinna and the Storm God of Ḫatti, as clearly represented in the prayer of Puduḫepa to the Sun Goddess of Arinna. Possible ties and relations among these female deities and the Storm God of Zippalanda, and the ways of their cults in the cities of Ankuwa and Zippalanda are analyzed here.
Copyright (c) 2019 Giulia Torri
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Copyright on any open access article in AsiAna published by FUP is retained by the author(s).
- Authors grant FUP a license to publish the article and identify itself as the original publisher.
- Authors also grant any third party the right to use the article freely as long as its integrity is maintained and its original authors, citation details and publisher are identified.
- The Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 formalizes these and other terms and conditions of publishing articles.
- In accordance with our Open Data policy, the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver applies to all published data in AsiAna open access articles.