About the Journal
Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana BSGI
BSGI is an open access peer-reviewed academic international journal focusing on a wide set of geographic topics, contributions to the scholarly debate, news and reviews, from several theoretical and methodological perspectives, on large-scale investigation.
Articles are refereed before publication.
This journal operates a double blind review process. All contributions will be initially assessed by the editor for suitability for the journal. Papers deemed suitable are then typically sent to a minimum of two independent expert reviewers to assess the scientific quality of the paper. The Editor is responsible for the final decision regarding acceptance or rejection of articles. The Editor's decision is final.
FOCUS AND SCOPE
BSGI is an open access peer-reviewed academic international journal dedicated to traditional perspectives as well as innovative and synergetic implications of Geography. It is meant to be a crucible for discussions on science, on making science and its outcomes.
- original contributions offering novel experimental or theoretical insights in Geography and related disciplines
- fundamentals implications of geographic theories and related sciences
- the progress of single discoveries, the life of scientists, the historical advancement of technology, in other words, the stories of the people behind breakthroughs and innovations
- the historical overview and critical reviews of geographic theories and their interweaving with the cultural and social environment
- the critical discussion of past concepts and experimental works, in the light of the present geographic knowledge
- contributions on contemporary geography
RIGOROUS DOUBLE BLIND PEER REVIEW
Each submission to BSGI is subject to a rigorous quality control and peer-review evaluation process before receiving a decision. The initial in-house quality control check deals with issues such as competing interests; ethical requirements; financial disclosures; full compliance with BSGI’s data availability policy, etc.
Submissions may be returned to authors for queries, and will not be seen by our Editorial Board or peer reviewers until they pass this quality control check.
The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for conducting the peer-review process and for the final decision on the submitted article.
OPEN ACCESS POLICY
Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana provides immediate open access to its content. Our publisher, Firenze University Press at the University of Florence, complies with the Budapest Open Access Initiative definition of Open Access: By “open access” , we mean the free availability on the public internet, the permission for all users to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full text of the articles, crawl them for indexing, pass them as data to software, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without financial, legal, or technical barriers other than those inseparable from gaining access to the internet itself. The only constraint on reproduction and distribution, and the only role for copyright in this domain is to guarantee the original authors with control over the integrity of their work and the right to be properly acknowledged and cited. We support a greater global exchange of knowledge by making the research published in our journal open to the public and reusable under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (CC-BY-4.0). Furthermore, we encourage authors to post their pre-publication manuscript in institutional repositories or on their websites prior to and during the submission process and to post the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version after publication without embargo. These practices benefit authors with productive exchanges as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
Papers will be published online as soon as they are accepted, and tagged with a DOI code. The final full bibliographic record for each article (initial-final page) will be released with the hard copies of Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana. Manuscripts are accepted at any time through the online submission system.
Authors who publish with Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (CC-BY-4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Unlike many open-access journals, Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana does not charge any publication fee.
Fee waivers do not apply at Firenze University Press because our funding does not rely on author charges.
Responsibilities of Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana's editors, reviewers, and authors concerning publication ethics and publication malpractice are described in Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana's Guidelines on Publication Ethics.
CORRECTIONS AND RETRACTIONS
In accordance with the generally accepted standards of scholarly publishing, Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana does not alter articles after publication: "Articles that have been published should remain extant, exact and unaltered to the maximum extent possible".
In cases of serious errors or (suspected) misconduct Bollettino della Società Geografica Italiana publishes corrections and retractions (expressions of concern).
In cases of serious errors that affect or significantly impair the reader’s understanding or evaluation of the article, Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana publishes a correction note that is linked to the published article. The published article will be left unchanged.
- there is clear evidence that the findings are unreliable, either as a result of misconduct (e.g. data fabrication) or honest error (e.g. miscalculation)
- the findings have previously been published elsewhere without proper crossreferencing, permission or justification (i.e. cases of redundant publication)
- it turns out to be an act of plagiarism
- it reports unethical research.
If an investigation is underway that might result in the retraction of an article Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana may choose to alert readers by publishing an expression of concern.
Bollettino della Società Geografica italiana and Firenze University Press are experimenting a National legal deposition and long-term digital preservation service.