International Symposium "The Periodic Table: our Legacy for Current Challenges"
2019 has been proclaimed by UNESCO as the “International Year of the Periodic Table (IYPT 2019)”, marking the 150th anniversary since the discovery of Mendeleev’s periodic table. This is an excellent occasion to commemorate the work and the genius of several chemists who devoted their lives to the progress of chemistry. It is also a great occasion to ponder about some of most important topics and challenges, and envisage future developments and applications.
Our contribution is based on the certainty that the historical aspects of scientific discoveries, the cultural milieus in which scientists lived and their personalities intersect and participate in the development of science. Substantia proudly celebrates the 2019 International Year of the Periodic Table with the International Symposium
that will take place November 27 at 10 AM in the Salone Brunelleschi (Spedale degli Innocenti), Piazza Santissima Annunziata, Firenze (Italy). The event program is:
- Greetings and Introduction - Luigi Dei | President of the University of Florence
- The celebration of the Periodic Table - Pierandrea Lo Nostro | Editor-in-Chief of Substantia
- Overlook on Substantia - Duccio Tatini | University of Florence
- Sending light on the Periodic Table - Vincenzo Balzani | University of Bologna
- International Year of the Periodic Table. The art of commemorating and what history of science can do for scientists - Brigitte Van Tiggelen | Science History Institute, Paris
- The Women Behind the Periodic System and What These Stories Can Teach us About Science? - Annette Lykknes | Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim
During the event we will celebrate the 150th anniversary of the International Periodic Table and will launch the six special issues of Substantia dedicated to energy and sustainability, water, open science, and the periodic table.
We do believe that knowing our past is necessary for the present challenges and even more for a future of prosperity, sustainability and awareness. This is the spirit that guides us in our mission.