Path to the Synthesis of Polyacetylene Films with Metallic Luster: In Response to Rasmussen’s Article
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The 2000 Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded jointly to Alan J. Heeger, Alan G. MacDiarmid, and Hideki Shirakawa “for the discovery and development of conductive polymers.” Unlike metals, organic polymers or plastics do not conduct electricity. The three laureates found that polyacetylene can be doped on a film, which was initially synthesized by Shirakawa following a failed experimental trial by a Korean scientist, Hyung Chick Pyun. Later, Pyun insisted that he was the discoverer of polyacetylene films with silvery sheen. This note sheds light on the true history of the synthesis of polyacetylene films.
- The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2000, 2021, https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/chemistry/2000/ popular-information /
- Nobel Media AB 2021, 2021,
- S. C. Rasmussen, New Insight into the “Fortuitous Error” that Led to the 2000 Nobel Prize in
- Chemistry. Substantia. 2021, 5, 91–97.
- H. J. Pyun, I can’t doubt the facts…, (in Korean). KAERI Magazine. 2002, 10, 7–8. This is a shorter version of the document in note 5.
- H. J. Pyun, What is a Nobel Prize? (in Korean). 2013. (An unpublished document provided by Professor Rasmussen).
- H. Shirakawa, The Discovery of Polyacetylene Film: The Dawning of an Era of Conducting
- Polymers. in Les Prix Nobel, The Nobel Prizes 2000 (Ed.: Nobel Foundation), Stockholm, 2000, pp. 217–226. Original speech: https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/chemistry/2000/shirakawa/lecture/
- H. Shirakawa, Nobel Lecture: The discovery of polyacetylene film – the dawning of an era of
- conducting polymers. Rev. Mod. Physics. 2001, 73, 713—718; H. Shirakawa, The discovery of polyacetylene film – the dawning of an era of conducting polymers. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2001, 40, 2575-2580.
- H. Shirakawa, S. Ikeda, Infrared Spectra of Poly(acetylene). Polym. J. 1971, 2, 231–244; H. Shirakawa, T. Ito, S. Ikeda, Raman Scattering and Electronic Spectra of Poly(acetylene). Polym. J. 1973, 4, 460–462; T. Ito, H. Shirakawa, S. Ikeda, Simultaneous Polymerization and Formation of Polyacetylene Film on the Surface of Concentrated Soluble Ziegler-Type Catalyst Solution. J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Chem. Ed. 1974, 12, 11–20.
- G. Natta, G. Mazzanti, P. Corradini, Polimerizazione stereospecifica dell’acetilene. Atti Accad. Naz. Lincei, Rend., Cl. Sci. Fis., Mat. Nat. 1958, 25, 3-12.
- M. Akhtar, C.K. Chiang, M. J. Cohen, J. Kleppinger, A. J. Heeger, E. J. Louis, A. G. MacDiarmid, J. Milliken, M. J. Molan, D. L. Peebles, H. Shirakawa, Synthesis and Properties of Halogen Derivatives of (SN)X and (CH)X. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1978, 313, 726–736.
- H. Shirakawa, E. J. Louis, A. G. MacDiarmid, C. K. Chiang, A. J. Heeger, Synthesis of
- Electrically Conducting Organic Polymers: Halogen Derivatives of Polyacetylene. (CH)X. JCS
- Chem. Commun. 1977,16, 578–580; C. K. Chiang, C. R. Fincher, Jr., Y. W. Park, A. J. Heeger, H. Shirakawa, E. J. Louis, S. C. Gau, A. G. MacDiarmid, Electrical Conductivity in Doped Polyacetylene. Phys. Rev. Lett. 1977, 39, 1098–1101.