Sadi Carnot’s Réflexions and the foundation of thermodynamics
The purpose of this article is to present a short review of Sadi Carnot work on heat engines and on the role his adherence to the caloric theory may have had. The essential points developed in the Réflexions are reviewed as forerunners of the science of thermodynamics. The antecedents that may have inspired the brilliant scientific insights of Carnot are reviewed together with the reception of the Carnot principles in the engineering and in the scientific community until the formulation of the two principles of modern thermodynamics.
Copyright (c) 2019 Pier Remigio Salvi, Vincenzo Schettino
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Copyright on any open access article in Substantia published by FUP is retained by the author(s).
- Authors grant FUP a license to publish the article and identify itself as the original publisher.
- Authors also grant any third party the right to use the article freely as long as its integrity is maintained and its original authors, citation details and publisher are identified.
- The Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 formalizes these and other terms and conditions of publishing articles.
- In accordance with our Open Data policy, the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver applies to all published data in Substantia open access articles.