Contribution to the study of wild Orchidaceae, genus Platanthera L.C.M. Richard. Karyotype and C-banding analysis of two species from Italy.
Keywords:Chromosome number, C-Banding, heterochromatin content, karyotypes, Orchidaceae, Platanthera algeriensis, P. chlorantha
This study examined chromosome numbers and karyotypes of two taxa of the genus Platanthera (Orchidaceae) from Italy. Cytological analyses showed 2n = 2x = 42 in P. chlorantha and P. algeriensis. The karyotype analysis revealed the similarity in both the species. The karyotypes are as follows: P. chlorantha consists of 34metacentric+8submetacentric pairs, P. algeriensis consists of 36metacentric+6submetacentric pairs. Both the species possesses a rather symmetrical karyotype. The C-banding pattern shows that P. chlorantha is very similar to P. algeriensis. DAPI bright blocks were observed in P. chlorantha. These analyses show also the closer relationships between the studied species.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Alessio Turco, Antonella Albano, Pietro Medagli, Saverio D'Emerico
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Copyright on any open access article in a journal published byCaryologia is retained by the author(s).
- Authors grant Caryologia a license to publish the article and identify itself as the original publisher.
- Authors also grant any third party the right to use the article freely as long as its integrity is maintained and its original authors, citation details and publisher are identified.
- The Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0 formalizes these and other terms and conditions of publishing articles.
- In accordance with our Open Data policy, the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Public Domain Dedication waiver applies to all published data in Caryologia open access articles.