Modal Events and A.I. Fashion: Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence Between Present and Future
- Artificial Intelligence,
- Posthuman Fashion,
- Artificial Creativity,
- Big Data,
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The contribution brings together some initial reflections of an ongoing research on the relationship between fashion and artificial intelligence. Within the theoretical framework of posthuman fashion, some international case studies, which represent the first experiments of introducing A.I. in fashion design, will be analysed. From here, reflection will involve the role of numbers, big data and static probability in this dynamic field of research and innovation. The aim of this contribution is to question the current and future role of fashion designers and how the fashion system could change through human-machine collaboration.
- Barile, N., & Sugiyama, S. (2020). Wearing Data: from McLuhan’s “Extended Skin” to the Integration Between Wearable Technologies and a New Algorithmic Sensibility. Fashion Theory, 24(2), 211-227. Beckwith C., (2019,February 27). Can Artificial Intelligence 150 Ever Understand Fashion?. The Business of Fashion. https://www.businessoffashion.com/opinions/news-analysis/op-ed-can-artificialintelligence-ever-understand-fashion/
- Braidotti, R. (2013). The Posthuman. Polity. Catricalà, V., & Maccallini, L. (2021, January 13). Un’esperienza della moda che trascende il concetto di bellezza. Incontro con Anouk Wipprecht. Wired. https://www.wired.it/play/cultura/2021/01/13/moda-bellezza-incontro-anouk-wipprecht/
- Crook, L. (2021, November 3). The Fabricant Studio ‘allows anyone to become a digital fashion designer’. Dezeen. https://www.dezeen.com/2021/11/03/the-fabricant-studio-digital-fashion-dezeen-15/
- Dall’Aglio, G. (2003). Calcolo delle probabilità. Zanichelli.
- Ford, B. (2023, May 1). IBM to Pause Hiring for Jobs That AI Could Do. Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-01/ibm-to-pause-hiring-for-back-office-jobs-that-aicould-kill#xj4y7vzkg
- Giano, A. M. (2019, November 11). Yoox sta cambiando lo shopping online con l’intelligenza artificiale e la realtà aumentata. Esquire. https://www.esquire.com/it/stile/moda-uomo/a29754830/shopping-online-yoox/
- Haraway, D. (2016). Staying with the Trouble: Making Kin in the Chthulucene. Duke University Press.
- Knight, W. (2017, August 24). Amazon Has Developed an AI Fashion Designer. MIT Technology Review. https://www.technologyreview.com/2017/08/24/149518/amazon-has-developed-anai-fashion-designer/
- Pantano, I. (2018, February 7). Miquela, la prima influencer virtuale su Instagram alla Milano Fashion Week. Vogue Italia. https://www.vogue.it/moda/news/2018/02/07/miquela-primainfluencer-virtuale-instagram
- Pitozzi, A. (2019, August 13). Nike usa l’intelligenza artificiale per prevedere lo shopping dei clienti. Wired. https://www.wired.it/economia/business/2019/08/13/nike-intelligenza-artificiale/
- Silva, E. S., Hassani, H., & Madsen., D. Ø. (2020). Big Data in fashion: transforming the retail sector. Journal of Business Strategy, 41(4): 21-27. https://doi.org/10.1108/JBS-04-2019-0062.
- Smelik, A. (2018). New materialism: A theoretical framework for fashion in the age of technological innovation. International Journal of Fashion Studies, 5(1): 33-54. https://doi.org/10.1386/infs.5.1.33_1
- Vaccari, A., & Franzo, P. (2022). What if? Prove di futuro della moda in Italia. LetteraVentidue.