How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Pierandrea Lo Nostro
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
We thought that with the decline of the Covid-19 pandemic the worst had gone and that we could go back to normal life, maybe keeping one eye open on the evolution of the virus variants from time to time. Suddenly almost any news on TV about the pandemic has disappeared.
But we are not aware of the threatening risk of a super-pandemic for which we won't have powerful weapons: antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
The phenomenon is well known in the scientific community but citizens are not informed that they can play a crucial role in avoiding this disaster.
- H.-Z. Li, K. Yang, H. Liao, Y.-G. Zhu. Active antibiotic resistome in soils unraveled by single-cell isotope probing and targeted metagenomics. PNAS 119 (2022) e2201473119.
- Report signals increasing resistance to antibiotics in bacterial infections in humans and need for better data. https://www.who.int/news/item/09-12-2022-report-signals-increasing-resistance-to-antibiotics-inbacterial-
- infections-in-humans-and-need-for-better-data (last accessed: 25/02/2023).
- S. Vijay, N. Bansal, B. K. Rao, B. Veeraraghavan, C. Rodrigues, C. Wattal, J. P. Goyal, K. Tadepalli, P. Mathur, R. Venkateswaran, R. Venkatasubramanian, S. Khadanga, S. Bhattacharya, S. Mukherjee, S. Baveja, S.
- Sistla, S. Panda, K. Walia. Secondary Infections in Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients: Indian Experience. Infect Drug Resist. 14 (2021) 1893-1903.
- India facing a pandemic of antibiotics-resistant superbugs. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-63059585 (last accessed: 25/02/2023).
- Waste from pharmaceutical plants in India and China promotes antibiotic-
- resistant superbugs. https://www.statnews.com/2016/10/14/superbugs-antibiotic-resistance-india-china/ (last accessed: 25/02/2023).
- C. Zhou, Y. Wang. Structure–activity relationship of cationic surfactants as antimicrobial agents. Curr. Op. Colloid & Interface Sci. 45 (2020) 28-43.
- S. Ishikawa, Y. Matsumura, F. Yoshizako, T. Tsuchido. Characterization
- of a cationic surfactant-resistant mutant isolated spontaneously from
- Escherichia coli. J. Appl. Microbiol. 92 (2002) 261-8.
- How antidepressants help bacteria resist antibiotics. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00186-y (last accessed: 25/02/2023).